CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Sad Day...

I know that Pres. Hinckley's death is something that is on many of our minds today and I want to add my two cents. What an incredible man! Jonathan and I were discussing this last night after we heard the news and while thinking of him, it was hard not to reflect a little bit on ourselves. They went through his list of accomplishments on the news and there were so many! Always with a smile on his face and we thought about what we had accomplished in our lives so far (and how much complaining went along with working towards those accomplishments). I feel that I have a fair amount of things I've acheived for being 30-something but they are mostly selfish- financial/educational goals, childhood dreams (owning a salon!), weight-loss goals (although it's been a while) things of a more of a self-serving nature. Not that these are bad things, but there should be at least an equal amount of accomplishments that better those around me- like service. I think about this a lot lately, as we have been the recipients of so much service this past year. We have been in constant need of babysitters, meals, prayers, moral support, and people who understand and just want to be there during our struggles. I don't know what we would've done without my family here to take care of things. I tell them that's what the Robertson't are here for- to provide opportunities for them to serve!Now it's time for us to be there for others in need and follow the example Pres. Hinckley set for us. He stood for everything that is good! He spent most of his life in the service of others, he was such an example of being tolerant and obedient, and he was so driven! I'm sure he never once felt sorry for himself , even though I'll bet his life wasn't without it's share of struggles. How more effective we would be if we could implement his positive attitude into our own lives and teach our children the same! He will be so greatly missed and we are all incredibly sad, however he isn't and that's what matters most.

On a lighter note, my little (or BIG) Jace asked why I was crying and I told him Pres. Hinckley died. He asked why and how, so I did the best I could explaining and told him he was very old and his body was tired. He's been worrying all day about getting old because he doesn't want to die. I finally told him that if he doesn't get old, he can never have his own house, his own kids, and he won't get to be the boss! Well, he said that's ok because if he has his own house, he won't live with me and that would be sad because he would miss me! He then went on to say that he will still grow up, have kids, they will all live with me, and HE will be the boss of everyone! Oh, the mind of a child! We then discussed how he will build a house next to me and Brylee so we can see eachother every day. How cute is that?!

5 comments:

April said...

I cant believe he is gone,but I know he is happy too.
What do you mean, When Jace grows up he will be the boss, he already is! It is good he can be so cute or we might not be able to handle his bossiness!
By the way, now I know why you didn't answer this morning when I called. You were blogging. That should not be more important that your sister!

Ashlee said...

Sorry, Ape, but I was on a roll with the novel that I wrote! Actually I think I was closing a jewelry party. Anyway, I'm glad at least one person made it through everything that I wrote! I've always had a lot (maybe TOO much!) to say!

The O'Briens said...

Steph and I found out about him passing away on our way home last night. Steph bawled, and I was just in shock. He was such an amazing man.

The O'Briens said...

So, I will call you tonight when I get out of class to teach you how to post pics. I love reading your posts, too. I honestly don't feel they are too long! I love feeling like I am more up to date on everyone's lives. Like me, you have a lot to say! Why should your blog be any different?!

I LOVE that Jace said he is going to live with you because he would miss you. He is such a sweetheart. I must say, it makes me happy when he breezes right past Robby and runs to give ME a hug first.

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

Ashlee, I thought that was all well said.