CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

This is the place!

I just love Utah! I've lived in other places and they all have different things about them that appeal to me, but there's something about Utah (county, that is) on Sundays and especially conference weekend. The people buying our house were here yesterday setting up a pen for their sheep (my kids are stoked about this!) so I left at about 11:40 to go get pizza for lunch. Spanish Fork was as quiet as it is at 3am (don't ask me how I know this). Streets and parking lots were almost empty until about 12:05. Little Ceasars was suddenly packed with people and Macey's parking lot was full, with every check-stand open and super long lines. I was talking to my sisters about this when Abbie reminded me of going to Cosco last conference weekend. We went during the break and of course it was packed full of people- all of them checking out the famous samples. There were people lined up (literally!) to try everything, except the coffee demo, which was completely void of people. It's just these little details about our religion that set us apart from others (not "above", just apart) and it's comforting to live in a place where so many are faithful. We are sometimes referred to as "those Utah Mormons", in a derogatory way, obviously, which I think is very unfair. We're just a bunch of people doing the best we can and trying to appreciate what we have- the Gospel.

Along those same lines I am also thankful for my wonderful family. Yesterday I took my kids up to where everyone else was camping for the weekend (Jonathan worked on the new house). When the last session of conference started, 4-wheelers were turned off and everyone stopped what they were doing so we could all listen to conference (except the little kids, of course). My parents have always been such good examples and it's just understood in our family that things of a spiritual nature come first. I am so thankful for this! My dad, brother, brother-in-law, and nephew all left camp to go find the nearest church to hear the priesthood session (Jonathan went to the session at our church). Anyway, on our way home last night we passed 3 different churches- all packed with the cars of our local priestood holders. Once again it was an awesome sight and a great feeling to see so many faithful people taking advantage of the opportunity to hear the counsel of the living prophets.

All this talk about conference and yet I forgot about it! I called my mom yesterday (before I went to get pizza) and she said "Aren't you watching conference?"- translation "Why are you calling me in the middle of this?!" Does this make me a hypocrite? Anyway, I just love conference and I'm about to miss it again if I don't stop blogging!

2 comments:

April said...

I am with ya Ash. We do live in a great place(Ive never lived anywhere else though)! I look so forward to conference, and am glad our parents have always set the example of how important it is to take every chance we get to listen to a prophet of God.

Cammee said...

Hi Ash! I was thinking how lucky were are to live where we can watch it in the comfort of our own homes. Think how long Stake Conference seems, now imagine doing it twice a day for 2 days in a row! I'm so thankful for technology that lets us organize all our closets while listening to conference!