CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Better days

I have been so consumed with the election/candidates lately and after rereading what I posted regarding these two things, I'm realizing how dramatic I was about it all! Not that the future of our country isn't something I take seriously, but after reading a friends blog I'm reminded that we are a great nation and I truly believe that we will continue to be "OK". We are living in difficult times but we are so far from hopeless and I know we will get through this. I hope my passionate posts against our president-elect didn't offend anyone, I've just struggled being positive lately.

With that being said, I went to the temple this week hoping to find peace. Of course I did, as I always do, but as I did sealings there were some missionaries from the MTC also participating. Oh the memories that come flooding back! I remembered as a missionary being extremely happy. I truly loved everyone and never seemed to have a problem finding the good in people and circumstances. I welcomed that challenges I was sure to face everyday, was most always able to give others the benefit of the doubt, and truly loved serving with all my heart. Where did that girl go?! That was such a wonderful, life-changing experience that I'm so thankful I could have.

As if that wasn't enough, our sacrement meeting today consisted of parents in the ward who have missionaries serving now. Several of these parents read letters from their missionaries and their love for the people, scriptures, and the "work" of sharing the Gospel was felt by the entire congregation, I'm sure. Once again I was filled with memories and feelings I had as a missionary. All these reminders of that time of my life left me wondering what I'm supposed to learn from this. Although I don't quite have the answer for that yet, I do know that I want to be like the missionary I was 10+ years ago. I want to have an unconditional love for everyone and give them the benefit of the doubt. I want to be more tolerant. I want to be able to find the good in every situation and always be grateful- even in the midst of difficult trials. I want to serve others and not allow myself so often to be consumed by worldly distractions. I want to uplift and inspire others. I want to be more involed and make a difference in the world. So many things to work on!

Anyway, this was my "wake-up" call this week- to not be so consumed by things I can't change (election) and focus on the things I can. To stop worrying about what "could" happen and just enjoy this great life I have and be thankful for it. Be optimistic and stop acting like this is the end of the world. And last, but not least, stop insulting our next president (and those who voted for him) and pray for him that he will listen to the Spirit as he faces the trials that will be his as our next leader. God Bless America!

PS Going private and would love to add you all to my invite list- leave your email address. I don't mind blog-stalkers at all!

13 comments:

Kristie said...

Ashlee include me kristie@utwire.net

Susan said...

lookhartphotography@gmail.com

Steph said...

jsbreach@hotmail.com

I almost called you the other day to chat (since it has been forever). Is your cell number still the same?

Amy @MoMomma said...

Thanks for posting your missionary thought Sister! :) I remember sitting in a small classroom at the ASU institute with you while we went over the new member discussions. I really enjoyed talking with others who shared my own beliefs (as a newly baptized member). You helped lay a LOT of great groundwork for me and my family- I've enjoyed the blessings of the temple, eternal marriage and the most adorable son who is sealed to us! Way to Go Sista! Amy
(Amers77@aol.com)

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

I love reading your blog..invite me please! wikkinight@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

theplumberswife@gmail.com

Lyric Payne said...

houseofpaynes@gmail.com

I'm glad you are feeling more positive. Life is much better that way!

Sonja said...

jeremyandsonja@aol.com. It's one of my favorites and I'd miss it if I couldn't see it :)

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

truemelis@yahoo.com

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

That was a great post! I have to tell you that I have been stuggling with a lot things that "I can't change" and your post has really made me see that I just need to relax.

Please don't forget me when you are adding those to your list of readers jennifer_peacock@hotmail.com

Laurie Blackett said...

Ashlee, please add me to your list,
Aunt Laurie
ljb1957@GMAIL.COM

Cammee said...

When we were watching election results that night, my 11 year old told me we were all going to die now that Obama was President. I had to remind him that we are Americans and as such we would stand behind our President, even if it's not the one we voted for. We lived through Bill Clinton, right?

I would love to be included in your blog if you'll let me. cammee.baum@gmail.com.

Mitchell Family said...

abbieom@hotmail.com