CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 29, 2008

Nothing, really

I haven't posted in a while, and although I've promised pictures (for those who have asked why there aren't many) I'm computer-illiterate and can't figure out how to download them myself. One of these days I'll get my husband to do it- heck, maybe I'll just learn! Anyway, I had an awesome time with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-law last weekend and I recommend all you gals/moms out there do something similar AT LEAST once a year! My mom, Abbie, and I started a tradition a few years ago of going to St. George for the weekend during the Parade of Homes. The next year we invited all the other girls to go and now it's just what we do! I don't know about them, but I look forward to this each year beginning with the drive home! It's 3 days of almost non-stop home-seeing with just a few shopping and food breaks in between. They spare no expense with these homes (I really do have pics that one day I'll post) and it's amazing to me how extravagant some people can be. I can appreciate a nice home as much as the next guy (or gal), but come on- a closet the size of a master bedroom and a master suite the size of the average home?! I found it ironic that I came home and was watching Oprah the other day when they talked about "freegan's". These are people who literally dumpster-dive for all the necessities of life. It's not even financially necessary for most of them. Most freegan's do this as a political statement of how wasteful we are as a nation (they find some pretty good, decent, CLEAN things that they use!) and how minimally we could actually live and still be comfortable. They all seemed pretty content with this lifestyle. I think I fall somewhere in between these extremes, but being "wasteful" is something I'm trying harder not to be, and extravegant is something I can't AFFORD to be!

Anyway, back to our weekend. We laughed the entire time- beginning with Alys going to the ATM at the bank while we all went through the teller drive-through. She went back to the spot where we had been, but got in the wrong car (we had moved to a different spot). This was hilarious, watching her open the door and see a kid, slam it, then stare around the parking lot trying to find us while others in the drive-up were laughing. It got even better when we were shopping. April saw something behind her, figured it was Abbie, started talking to her, only to turn around and find she was talking to herself in the mirror. We had a blast as we always do when we're together (which is a lot!) and I'm hoping Steph did, too. This was the most time she's ever spent with her female in-laws and she was awesome! She fit right in as if she'd always been there. She had to leave us for a day to go to an interview at a lawfirm in Vegas. Come to find out that was definitely a drive worth taking (even though it rained HARD the whole time, she got lost, her phone died, and she was hours early because of the time change) because she got the job! The interview that should've taken a half an hour took 2 hours, they wanted a week to make their decision, but then called her in 3 days. She knocked their socks off- way to go, Steph!

Needless to say it was a lot of fun, but I must admit by the end I was really missing my husband and kids. I think time away ocassionally is healthy because you come home with a new appreciation of your family and just your life in general. Brylee wouldn't let me out of her sight, but the other kids were too consumed with the toys I brought them to notice me, which was OK- I was a kid once, too! Jonathan missed me, although I'm not sure how much of that was me personally, or just someone to help with these crazy kids! He did a great job with the kids, house, and everything else while I was gone- Thanks, Hon! You're a good sport!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you guys had a good time. It sounds like you like to move cars often on people. I remember like it was yesterday when you guys did that to me at albertsons and I got in the wrong van. At least it ended up being someone I knew.

I got your message the other day, but I was on the other line and I don't have your digits????? My phone is dead dead dead....with out it I have zero contact numbers? Could you email it to me or call me back and leave it on the message if I don't answer?

Lyric Payne said...

I was laughing so hard, out loud, when you told about Alys getting in the wrong car and April talking to herself in the mirror. I would have loved to have been on that trip just for those two things. What a great time you all had. You girls are so much fun. We need to do another combined trip soon.

The O'Briens said...

How sad that I missed the two funniest stories while I was off to my interview! I really did have so much fun. You guys do such a great job of making me feel comfortable. If I had any other in-laws I am sure I wouldn't have wanted to go...let alone be happy to be there and have so much fun. I wish we had taken more pictures to document the trip. Oh well, I'll make a point to take more next year. OOh, I just realized....next year I won't have to drive so far!