CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Quick story

OK, so ya know how I said in my last post that we got our boat fixed? Well, we decided last minute to take it out on Utah Lake last night and we were all super excited. We get out there- 7ish and drive around for a few minutes looking for a semi-calm spot to swim. We stop, swim for a few minutes, and decide to go again. Well, the boat had something else entirely in mind- IT WOULDN'T START! Jonathan messed with it as much as he knew how, but the battery just wasn't cooperating. It was really choppy and getting late so there was no one on the lake even close to us. When there would finally be a boat in sight we'd honk the horn, jump up and down, and wave our orange flag- all to no avail. I wish we had pictures of this! We turned on the scanner and asked if anyone was on the lake to give us a jump- no one. Fianlly, Alys (my sister) decided to call 911 and they said they'd send the Utah Lake Coast Guard (just kidding- I just don't know what they're called). While we were waiting- at least 45 mins- a jet-skier noticed us and said he'd pull us closer to the beach so we could get out (it wasn't the dock- just a beach). He did that, only to have the Coast Guard come within a few minutes and say it was too shallow, we'd have to pull the boat back out again. The cute jet-skier and all his nice, tattooed, ear ringed friends- plus Jonathan, all pulled us out to deeper waters. We have a BIG boat (this doesn't mean fancy- just big) and it took over an hour for her to pull us to where we were parked- she didn't have cables to jump us. By the time we got out of the water it was after 10 and there were those nasty, Utah Lake gnats attacking us like crazy! Jace was freaking out, thinking he'd have mosquito bites covering his entire body. Miserable night, but something we're already laughing about . OK- not such a "quick" story...

4 comments:

Bob and Jenn Peacock said...

I am glad you made it out! I have been stuck on Utah Lake out on a jet-ski!

Colten and Melissa Rogers said...

Sorry I laughed when you told me the story. Its really wasn't funny after reading that. At least you guys got home safe.

Unknown said...

What would boating be if you didn't have a crazy story to tell. We always hold our breath whenever we start our boat! Congrats for getting off the lake!

The O'Briens said...

Sadly, we have SO been there. We got stranded out there last Summer and were attacked by those same nasty gnats. Seriously, I don't blame Jace for freaking out (I really wanted to inside but I didn't want to scare my nieces). I'm glad you can laugh about it though....experiences like that make for the best stories.